An English baker named Samuel Bath Thomas
created crispy pan-fried muffins when he came to America in
1875. His muffins were made from a batter and you needed to buy
round molds. English Muffins can also be made with a soft dough
and you can cut out rounds with a drinking glass. These muffins
may be started in a bread machine or can be made by hand.
1 ½ cup water, warmed to 110˚
¼ cup fat-free milk powder
teaspoon granulated sugar
teaspoons active dry yeast
cups bread flour
flour for kneading
1. Bread machine method: Measure the
water, milk powder,
bread flour, all-purpose flour and salt into a
bread machine pan. Set the
bread machine for white bread,
dough and a large loaf cycle. Go to
“forming the muffins”
when the dough cycle is complete.
2. Hand method: In an extra large bowl, whisk the warm
powder, sugar and yeast. Measure the bread flour, all-purpose
salt onto the yeast mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until
blended. Turn the dough out onto a floured breadboard and knead
minutes. Place in an oiled bowl. Spray with vegetable oil and
a damp cloth.
3. Turn the oven on to 200˚. When you can feel the heat on
turn the oven off. Set the bowl of dough in
the warm oven and let the
dough rise for 1 hour.
4. Punch the dough down with your fist.
5. Forming the muffins: Dust a large breadboard generously with
yellow cornmeal. Roll the dough out to a ½-inch thick round.
the center section from a doughnut cutter or use a drinking
in flour. Cut out muffins and set 2 inches apart on a
6. Let the dough rise for 20 to 30 minutes or
until muffins are 1 inch tall.
7. Place 1 tablespoon oil in a 13-inch griddle. Heat on medium
fry the muffins for 10 minutes on each side.
Lower the temperature if
the muffins start to over brown.
8. When browned, split each muffin in half by indenting the
with a fork. Then, pull each muffin
9. You may enjoy toasting these muffins right
in the pan before serving.
Makes 18 muffins
Muffins are delicious spread with butter and
For currant muffins, toss in ½ cup currants when mixing
by hand or when the bread machine beeps after the initial kneading
Start your morning with homemade