medium elbow noodles
Cheddar Cheese Sauce
tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups whole milk
teaspoon minced dried onion
teaspoon mustard powder
teaspoon dried parsley
shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
smoked sausage or hotdog slices
teaspoon seasoning salt
⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚.
2. Bring water to boil in a 12-quart stockpot. Boil noodles,
then drain in a
Shake slightly to release any water trapped inside the noodles.
3. Cheese Sauce: In a 5-quart sauté
pan, melt the butter over low heat,
whisk in the flour. Remove the pan from the heat and quickly
whisk in the milk. Return pan to the heat and
cook until the sauce
thickens. Using a whisk helps to keep the
sauce smooth and creamy.
4. Stir in the dried onions, mustard, parsley,
cheese, sausage or hot dog
salt and pepper.
5. Place the cooked macaroni in a 2 ½-quart
soufflé dish. Pour in the
sauce and stir just until the macaroni is covered in sauce.
6. Top the macaroni with the breadcrumbs,
parsley and seasoning salt.
Makes 4 servings
7. Bake in the preheated 350˚ oven for 25 minutes.
1: Double the breadcrumbs and mix with 2 tablespoons
for a delicious crunchy topping.
Variation 2: Cut three pieces of buttermilk bread into
and toss with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Sprinkle the
macaroni with ½ cup cheddar cheese and then
top with buttered
3: Experiment with your favorite cheeses.