peppers come in a variety of colors and can be green, yellow, orange, red,
purple, brown and even black. Use any of these colors or try one of each. Green
bell peppers are the least expensive and are bitter when compared to the red
6 red bell peppers or a variety of colors
1 ⅓ pounds leanest ground beef
1 cup cooked mixed basmati and brown rice
⅓ cup chopped yellow onion
⅓ cup sliced tender celery stalks with leaves
1 garlic clove, crushed in a garlic press
⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 ½ teaspoons dried basil
1 ½ teaspoons seasoning salt
½ cup shredded medium cheddar cheese
¼ cup Campbell's Italian tomato soup with basil and oregano
⅓ cup Italian-style tomatoes from 1 (14 ½-ounce) can
Remaining tomato soup
Fresh parsley sprigs
Preheat the oven to 350°
2. Rinse the peppers in warm water. Cut off the tops and scoop
out the seeds with a large dessert spoon.
3. Place peppers, open end up, in a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish.
4. In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, rice, onion, celery,
garlic, pepper, basil, salt, cheese, ¼ cup of the soup and ⅓
cup of the tomatoes just until blended.
5. Fill the peppers to the top. In a small bowl, mix the rest of
the soup and canned tomatoes. Spoon the tomatoes over each
6. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 1 hour.
7. Set peppers on a serving tray. Garnish each one with
shredded cheddar cheese and a sprig of parsley.
Makes 6 servings