There are few compliments as endearing as your
loved ones telling you they look forward to coming home to the aroma of your
cooking. It is true appreciations. Treat the ones you love to a spiced rum cake
sprinkled with toasted pecans and coconut.
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup organic butter, softened
¼ cup dark brown sugar
¼ cup Golden Syrup
2 large cage-free eggs
¼ cup spiced or regular rum
½ cup fat-free organic milk
¾ cup organic butter
⅓ cup whipping cream
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
Coconut Pecan Crunch
⅔ cup toasted pecans
⅓ cup shredded coconut
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. Cake: In a medium bowl, measure the flour, baking powder, salt
cinnamon. In a large bowl, use a mixer to cream butter, brown sugar and
3. Beat in the eggs, then spiced rum. Beat in half the flour mixtures,
of the milk. Beat in remaining flour.
4. Set out 2 (6-cup) giant muffin tins. Divide batter between the 12
cups. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes.
5. Glaze: In a 2-quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the
cream and sugar. Heat just until the sugar dissolved.
6. Remove muffins from the oven and turn out onto a cooling rack. Place the
muffins back in the muffin cups with tops down. Top with warm glaze.
7. Topping: Stir pecans and coconut in a jellyroll pan. Place in
until just toasted or for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle over muffins.
8. When glaze has been absorbed, remove muffins from cups with a large
spatula. Serve on small plates topped with piped whipped cream.