Poached in Burgundy
Luscious peeled pears are surrounded by a
burgundy sauce. Keep the stem intact for a more elegant appearance.
1 cup burgundy
¼ cup orange juice, made from concentrate
1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 whole cloves
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
⅓ cup dark brown sugar
2 perfect ripe Bosc pears
1 teaspoon cornstarch
Brown sugar to sweeten sauce if needed
Confectioner’s sugar to decorate
1. In a 2-quart covered saucepan with lid,
heat the burgundy, orange juice,
cinnamon sticks, lemon zest, orange zest, cloves, lemon juice and dark brown
sugar over medium heat.
2. Peel the pears, then place on sides in
sauce. Simmer until pears are soft, turning
3. Place upright pears on individual dessert plates.
4. Mix the cornstarch with just enough water to thin. Stir into sauce and continue to
cook just until thickened. Taste to see if more sugar is needed.
5. Pour sauce over pears so that it pools around the base. Sprinkle with
confectioner’s sugar and serve.