Passionfruit Spice Cake
this recipe use canned passionfruit pulp not a premade juice.
To order passionfruit online look for cans of Goldcrest “granadilla pulp.”
This is a very “lemony” tasting cake so don’t be surprised. Also, to avoid
washing the beaters twice, beat the egg whites first. This recipe
uses exactly 4 (110g) cans of granadilla/passionfruit. This recipe is
an adaptation of a recipe I found in A Passionfruit Cookbook.
1 cup butter
2 cups granulated sugar
4 egg yolks
½ cup passionfruit pulp, strained
½ cup water
3 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon Saigon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cloves
¼ teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 egg whites, beaten until stiff
2 cans passionfruit pulp, strained
1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
¼ cup apricot jam or orange marmalade
4 (.035 ounce) packages Stevia (NuStevia)
6 tablespoons butter
4 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
6 tablespoons passionfruit pulp, strained
2 tablespoons whipping cream
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and the sugar with an electric
in the egg yolks, passionfruit and water.
3. Measure flour, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, baking powder and baking
soda in a sifter set over bowl.
4. Sift flour over creamed mixture and then beat in with beaters. Use a
spatula to fold in beaten egg whites.
5. Butter and flour two 9-inch springform baking pans. Divide batter
between pans and bake for 30 minutes. Cool completely before removing
each ring and base.
6. Filling: While cakes are baking make passionfruit filling. In a small pan
mix together the strained passionfruit, cornstarch and jam. Heat over
medium heat just until thickened. Remove from heat and add in stevia.
Pour into a small bowl and cool in refrigerator/freezer. Stir occasionally.
7. Passionfruit Icing: Measure the confectioners’ sugar and
butter into a
medium bowl. Beat with an electric beater until butter is fully
incorporated. Beat in the strained passionfruit or just until light and fluffy.
8. When cakes have cooled cut each cake in half so you have four rounds.
Place one round on a serving plate and cover with one third of the filling.
Top with second round and cover with another third of filling. Top with
third round and cover with last third of filling. Top with fourth round and
then ice completely. If you want you can decorate with kiwi slices.
Makes 1 cake or 8-12 slices