Garlic Roast Beef
1 (3-pound) bottom round beef roast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion
8 garlic cloves
2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into six pieces each
4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
Emeril’s original seasoning
Freshly ground Tellicherry peppercorns
More olive oil to drizzle over roast
2 tablespoons organic butter
2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup water
1 teaspoon beef base
1. Preheat the oven to 350°.
2. Roast: In a Dutch oven, brown the roast on all sides in the
3. Remove the roast from Dutch oven and set on
4. Chop the onion and fry in the Dutch oven. Crush 4 garlic cloves in a garlic press
and sauté with the onions for 2 minutes.
5. Peel the rest of the garlic cloves and cut
them into slivers. Make deep cuts with a
small knife on the top of the roast and insert the garlic slivers.
the roast back in the Dutch oven.
7. Surround the meat with carrots and
potatoes. Sprinkle everything with seasoning
and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.
8. Roast at 350°
for 2 to 2 ˝ hours. Check with a meat thermometer at 2 hours.
9. Gravy: Remove meat, potatoes and carrots from Dutch oven
the tasty bits, onion and garlic for the gravy.
10. Melt the butter in the pan over medium heat. Use a whisk to stir in
flour, then add the water and beef base. Whisk until thickened.